Tuesday, November 29, 2016

November 13, 2016 - Records

 Since I was sick today, Maynard Hammond took the class.  I appreciate his willingness to just jump in and share what he is doing.  Here is the summary of what he did:
I showed them a family that I was working on.  It was put together by a researcher that hadn't given a single source.  We then went in and found multiple census records on FamilySearch and a marriage certificate on Findmypast.  They all agreed with the family except for the wife.   The marriage certificate showed the marriage about a year before the first child was born.  The census data showed he hadn't remarried well after children were born.  We talked about how they might go about changing and fixing the record.  Then I showed them the easiest way.

I also showed them Recordseek.com and we added the marriage record from Findmypast.  We also added the census records.

There was so much to do in the little class time we had, but I feel all who were there learned how records can be fixed and documented.

When I went home I added several more sources and continued to try and unravel the many Samuel Law's that were married to a Betty in the area.  I'm still working on getting the puzzles unraveled and have proven and documented several but still have a few more to unravel.  I'd like to get all the records available assigned correctly.  I'd also like to find the correct husband for the wife we replaced and verify she wasn't a marriage late in life.  Somehow, the researcher thought she was part of the family, but I haven't found records that support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment